Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Best Social Safety Net

The other day I was reading a book that was published by the CATO institute (www.cato.org). Within the publication I ran into a quote that I really liked. There is a lot of talk about the need for a social safety net. Usually, when people make this claim they are talking about programs such as Unemployment Insurance. However, I think that the CATO publication has the best suggestion for a social safety net program. This is the quote: "There is no better safeguard against unemployment than the prospect of a new job." If programs such as Unemployment Insurance have negative effects on employment prospects, and I think they do, than the very programs that are designed to help those in need may very well have the opposite effect than its original intent.

(I currently cannot find the original publication that I am referencing. When I do, I will put the name, and author on this post)

No comments:

Post a Comment